Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Work vs Prison

  1. #11
    Inactive Member Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10,218
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Work vs Prison

    I used to work at St. Mary's and they'd call in male staff stat to rooms for patients with weapons and patients throwing things in the room all the time. I had to tackle a guy one time that was trying to attack a nurse. There aren't too many more violent, hostile situations than when you've got a kid, parent, spouse dying and you don't think they're getting the treatment they deserve. There were several times when it took 4-5 of us just to get someone down or get a situation calmed and the law was still called.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10,218
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Work vs Prison

    I just remembered another funny incident there....

    I think it was the last year I worked there. I don't know how many know this, but they have an "old folks home" on the 4th floor of St. Mary's. A guy you may know I.D, named Roy Hubbard was in this old black mans room emptying his trash when he was stabbed in the back with a fork.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Work vs Prison

    I could tell you that I have had to throw the cuffs on a very violent inmate who stands 6'10 360-arms bigger than my legs (have to double-cuff him), glaring at me in a rage, throwing his head backwards at me, trying to open me up while wrestling him to the ground, knowing that not only had he killed with his bare hands, but he has done so 3 times. Shoe knows exactly to whom I refer (obviously, I cannot name him on here). I did not have the luxury of medicine/sedation to quell the violence. At ROSP, having to get physical/wrestle an inmate to the floor is as common as dirt. We could go back and forth forever. I respect what those folks do though. Many similarities: Dealing with mentally unstable persons, unpredictable situations, all the while being woefully underpaid. I worry about elp6n when she is at the hospital working. I respect any person who lays it on the line.


    Roy is a good friend of mine. Scary deal there as well. He will make you laugh when he tells that story though.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

  4. #14
    Inactive Member Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10,218
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Work vs Prison

    [ QUOTE ]
    We could go back and forth forever.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Wasn't trying to go back and forth with you. You can't use sedation on a visitor who is there to see a patient though. It's also hard to sedate somebody with a weapon who you've got to wrestle to the ground also. Wasn't trying to [censored] on what you do, just making the point that folks who work in health care have a hell of a time. I used to work in surgery and ob some, it was no fun picking up amputated arm, legs, afterbirth etc. I'm glad I don't have a hand in that anymore. I respect those people a lot more after working in that environment.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

  5. #15
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Work vs Prison

    Wasn't my intent to go back and forth either. No disrespect intended to folks in that profession. They, like us, do something that alot of folks aren't cut out for. Somebody has to do them both though.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

  6. #16
    Inactive Member imported_UKCats1's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2004
    Posts
    607
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Work vs Prison

    Remember the days well. Been gone from ROSP for three years now and I still remember the smells and the sights just like it was yesterday. Still remember McCarty and others who have been carried out of there. Actually had an inmate die in my arms going to the hospital in the back of a van ask Lafayette Flemming about that one. Happened on your shift too. Remember first bringing the inmates in and having to fight them all the way across the yard to the buildings etc. It is not a job for the faint of heart. I hated the job personally. Spent one Christmas morning tying Cruz down because he tried to stab me. It is no fun and is not for everyone. You either love the job or hate it. Love what I am doing now. Get weekends off, summers off, and never have to worry about a supervisor coming at me with a leave restriction form.
    [url="http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg"]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg[/url]

  7. #17
    Inactive Member knight_67's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 11th, 2002
    Posts
    2,831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Work vs Prison

    I've pondered it for a while, and have decided to try and get hired up there. Talked to kevin the other day and he said that he would get an interview set up for me, i think sometime in the middle of this month.
    "i asked a toothless man, who all these people were and, he said the soapmakers...and we are workin workin"



  8. #18
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Work vs Prison

    Cruz....

    The one who affectionately refers to me as "The White Devil"

    He's still the same. As for having to fight 'em across the yard, our rep has made that a constant. The inmates see the sign and realize where they are, and it's rock and roll time [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

  9. #19
    Inactive Member imported_UKCats1's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2004
    Posts
    607
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Work vs Prison

    Is he still bounce wet toilet paper balls across the pods. He used to do that to me all the time. He would see me come in the pod whether I was working it or not and start bouncing them at me. He hated me so much. Never did anything to him though. I was FTOing a lady who spoke fluent Spanish one night and he started cussing me in Spanish and she just gave it right back to him, I loved it. The place isn't what it used to be though when you had Sgt. Pientka, and some of the other good supervisors that let you do your job instead of trying to find ways to write you up every day.
    [url="http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg"]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg[/url]

  10. #20
    Inactive Member imported_UKCats1's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2004
    Posts
    607
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Work vs Prison

    Knew Jessie real well. We worked a lot together then he went to 9-9 and did not see him that much. Saw him at a lot of Ervinton games really killed me when I heard he had passed. Saw Thomas the other night down at FC in BSG cleaning windows. Right there is one you better watch he is a character in a half.
    [url="http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg"]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg[/url]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •